Friday, August 15, 2008

He's "dropped"...

Last night was an interesting one! From the time I got home from work, Rosco was acting really strange. She was pacing back and forth and followed me everywhere (even into the bathroom). She would put her nose on me and just stare at me. Well, Jared and I were convinced that she could sense something was happening.

I couldn't sleep - again... I woke up around 1am and stayed awake until abou 4 just thinking and watching the olympics. After I finally fell asleep, I woke up this morning to find a surprise. Just before I got in the shower, I happened to glance in the mirror. Woah! What happened? All the sudden my belly looks a lot lower. Apparently, what Rosco was sensing was the movement of the baby as he "dropped."

Now, I can breathe easier, but I have to pee more often. The biggest change is the fact that this event makes it even more apparent that Jared and I could be parents any day now. Yikes! I'm 34 weeks, 2 days today. Ideally, baby will wait another 3 weeks until after Labor Day at which time he'll be 37 weeks. According to the "What to Expect" book though, babies typically arrive 2 to 4 weeks after they "drop" in first time moms. Of course, he could go full term or even be late. But, still, this event makes us realize just how close we are to baby boy's arrival.

I'm starting to panic a bit! The school year just started and teachers need lots of support establishing reading and writing workshop. Plus, I'm in charge of several committees that have meetings scheduled for the next few weeks. On top of that, the baby's room isn't finished. We still have no crib or bassinet, clothes need to be washed and organized, decorations need to be hung, etc. I've put in request for help from friends and family, but we're so busy, we hardly have time to do anything. Not to mention that after a long day at work, I have no desire to do anything but put my feet up and sleep! Oh, and another thing not done - we haven't decided on a name!!!

On the other hand, I know that work will continue just fine without me and the things that need to be done around the house will get done. I'm very excited to meet our little man, but of course prefer him to be robust and healthy!

My next doctor's appointment is scheduled for August 28th. That will be the first time Dr. Collins checks for dilation. At that time, we're also getting another ultrasound - to determine position and estimate weight. I can hardly wait until then to get another glimpse of baby boy.


Who knew having a baby would be such a rollercoaster ride of emotions???

No comments:

Post a Comment