Sunday, March 9, 2008

All about food... (12 weeks)

Weeks 6 -11 were miserable, nauseating, and exhausting where my only thoughts of food were for survival. I ate a lot of crackers - Saltines, Wheat Thins, Triscuits, Cheez-Its (any kind that would take the edge off the nausea). I also ate lots of other starch filled carbohydrates (think bowls of mashed potatoes and one baked potato after another). Sprite was my best friend when I was feeling especially ill. Water - the enemy. Oh, and my 2-am-snack-to-fill-an-empty-stomach-so-I-can-sleep-food: Wildberry Nutri Grain bars (quick and easy, 5 bites and back to sleep). Truly, the only thing I actually craved during this time was sweets (doughnuts, fruit -mostly oranges, and cupcakes) - and that was only after 5pm when the worst of the "morning sickness" had passed. There were MANY things that made the I-don't-even-want-to-look-at-it list like: fish, lettuce, meat, and eggs (one whiff of these and it was instant vomit).

But, the fog is lifting. I'm feeling less ill (unless I wait too long to eat), have more energy, and seem to be less irritable (I even laughed so hard I cried the other day - thanks Jared). I feel as though I've turned the corner towards the second trimester where sickness goes away and energy improves. Hurray! And, with that, my appetite is improving.

Still no weird cravings like pickles and ice cream (yuck!). But, I definitely want certain foods on certain days. My favorite breakfast right now is Multi-Grain Cheerios with a chopped up banana. Still loving Triscuits (they keep the nausea away). Yesterday, I wanted Mexican. The day before - a fish sandwich (I couldn't believe it!). Another day - vegetables like broccoli and cheese, corn, and carrots. This morning, I actually made eggs - mixed with tater tots, sausage, and cheese (a famous Cline family recipe called "garbage"). I ate it and enjoyed it - eggs and all. I'm still loving fruit, but now it's pears and peaches. It seems as though my body knows what nutrients it's missing - and that's what I crave that day.

Unfortunately, the things I find myself dreaming of most are the things I can't have - a cold turkey and cheese sandwich and a hot dog. I think I only want them because I can't have them! =) Such is life.

1 comment:

  1. If you're dying for turkey try a few slices from the deli, but make sure it's not pressed or chopped. A hot dog - try a veggie dog. It's mostly soy, but be sure to read the label first! It's the processed meats and things that you want to stay away from. Hope the cravings don't drive you too mad! Just think, only 6-7 months and you can eat whatever you want! It seems like forever, but it will be gone in a flash!

    ReplyDelete