Sunday, March 2, 2008

Our first look at 8 weeks.

Our first doctor's appointment was Wednesday, February 13th. Jared and I were both very excited and a bit nervous. I was still questioning whether or not I'm really pregnant - easy to do when the only evidence you have are five positive home pregnancy tests (I couldn't believe the first four).

The doctor didn't even make me pee in a cup to confirm the pregnancy. She just asked a bunch of questions and then performed the ultrasound. I think Jared was more uncomfortable with the ultrasound process than I was! But, after the first glimpse of baby, we forgot about what we had to do to see the image.

It's pretty amazing the first time you see this tiny little being on screen. It's really only 1/4 of an inch long, but looks very baby-like already. You can see the head, the body, and four tiny little buds for the arms and legs.

Of course, Jared and I were anxiously checking the screen for a second little being. But, it appears there's only one. Twins would've been fun, but a lot of work! So, unless someone is hiding, we're blessed with only one baby.

After checking out the physical appearance of the baby and measuring it (8 weeks, 3 days), we got to hear the heartbeat. Wow, that was incredible! That was the only moment I was on the verge of tears. A strong steady 164 beats per minutes. Jared was concerned that baby's heartbeat was so fast, but doc reassured him that this is normal.

After the appointment, they sent us on our way with three pictures and two diaper bags filled with TONS of information - all a bit overwhelming!

2 comments:

  1. I have been waiting for some baby updates! YEAH! Should I leave that poo room in my new house for visits? HA
    Pictures of the belly at all? Are we showing or what?

    LOVE YOU!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a boy, boy, boy boy, boy.

    ReplyDelete