Saturday, January 10, 2009

Baby's Day Out

This morning, Sage and I attended our first gymboree class. I had been curious about gymboree and found out they offer a free preview session, so I signed us up. I was a little nervous about timing the class right since it started at 9am. It's tough to make sure Sage is awake, fed, and happy. He is generally NOT a morning person (takes after his mom), so he only is "happy" for about an hour at a time in the mornings. Well, including travel time, I didn't think we were going to make it.

But, I'm happy to say our first playtime was a success. Well, that is if you don't include the large quantity of formula that Sage projected down my chest right before class started. =) Wow! The good thing is, it managed to go mostly on my chest and not on my shirt (thank goodness for a v-neck).

So, class starts with a song and then Laura asks us to put our babies on their tummies for tummy-time. "Oh no!" I think because Sage usually hates tummy time and I'm sure he'll start fussing. Well, at gymboree they prop them up just a tad with a rolled up towel - a great idea because Sage didn't mind being on his tummy for ten minutes. He loved looking at the mirror on the floor and the other babies.

The rest of class we did rhymes, more songs, and sensory items. Sage's favorites were the bubbles and the parachute! His least favorite - the clown puppet. Gymbo the clown is the gymboree mascot and Sage did not like him. I put the puppet on my hand and Sage screamed. I took it off, he was fine. So, I just bounced Sage on my knee while we sang. A minute later, I thought I'd try ol' Gymbo again and held him up to give Sage a kiss - "Waaaahhhhhh!" No luck. It appears that Sage is not a fan of clowns. =)



Overall, the class was fun for both of us. Sage enjoyed the play and watching the other babies. I enjoyed talking to other parents with babies about the same age. Too bad the classes are so expensive or I would go regularly!

Just as a sidenote: Last night, Jared and I took Sage to eat at Chili's with Justin and Cora. We called it our "experiment" because we had never taken Sage to a restaurant before while we ate dinner - especially at 8pm at night. It was successful, Sage just slept most of the time. When he was awake, he just looked around at everyone. Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment