Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Baby Bookworm

Since my career is all about teaching kids to read, it's shouldn't be a surprise that I want Sage to enjoy books too.

Luckily for me, that doesn't seem to be a problem. He loves to look at books and knows how to turn the pages. The other day, I was in the kitchen cleaning bottles (something I feel like I do all the time) and Sage was playing in his room. Usually, there is a constant chatter or noise when Sage plays, but for about five minutes, he had been quiet.

I peeked in on him and found him sitting in his tunnel reading books. He must've sat there for a good ten to fifteen minutes looking at all his books. It melted my heart. =) My colleagues at work say I should've video taped it so that when some kindergarten and first grade teachers say, "5 and 6 year olds can't read independently," I can say, "yes, they can!"

This morning, I took Sage to the library for his first official "storytime." He loved it. He loved being with the other kids, but he also listened very attentively to the librarian read. Sure, we had a few squirmy moments during the 30 minute session, but that's to be expected from my mover and shaker. Overall, though, he did an amazing job - I was impressed.

I'll be sad when I have to go back to work and will miss getting to do all these fun things with my little man. Maybe I'll win the lottery between now and August 10th...

1 comment:

  1. That's great! There are all kinds of story times around here I wish I could take Ryan to. Savor it, even if it is only a summer :)

    ReplyDelete